Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
handful of sage
cup of walnuts - chopped in blender best
cup of wholemeal breadcrumbs - I just add bread to blender with nuts
400g chopped tomatoes or passata or mix
- Peel outer leaves off the cabbage - count 2-4 leaves per person (although this can also be re-heated if there are leftovers or eaten cold as a lunch). Wash well (mine contained an army of caterpillars!)
- Heat some water in the bottom of a large pan and steam leaves for a few minutes until soft enough to fold
- Sautee onion with some olive oil and chop the centre of the cabbage into very small pieces and add. Leave until softens.
- Add chopped walnuts, breadcrumbs and sage
- Add chopped tomatoes or passata and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can add salt and pepper to taste
- Then the fun bit, put some of the mixture in a cabbage leaf and make a parcel with it. Line all the parcels/cannelloni up side by side in an oven dish
- I grated some parmesen on the top of the cabbage, you can also make a white sauce if you prefer or simply sprinkle with some more bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil before putting it in the oven to go crispy
I served the cabbage here with some baked potato skins which I stuffed with a baked patty pan squah and potato mixture and a bit of sage too.